Photo courtesy CBS.COM

Name: Herbert “Flight Time” Lang
Hometown: Brinkley, Ark.
Previous Seasons: Seasons 15 & 18

Name: Nathaniel “Big Easy” Lofton
Hometown: New Orleans, La.
Previous Seasons: Seasons 15 & 18

Tsylyst   

I never understood why so many folk don't like these two.

"We're Globe Trotters. Hey, did you hear that we're Globe Trotters? We were with the Globe Trotters. Don't forget we were Globe Trotters. We can do this task because we were Globe Trotters. We're good people because we're Globe Trotters. Did you know that we were Globe Trotters? We played with the Globe Trotters. Go Globe Trotters!"

That's why.

"P.S. -- We're Globe Trotters. Also, in cast you weren't sure, we played on the Globe Trotters."

They did adjust the height accordingly. How fair would it be if one of the blondes had to grab a flag set high enough to make it a challenge for Big Easy?

There's been a lot of Globetrotter hate here (with some exceptions ff174, Tropdreams, nixiechick,). I happen to like them a lot. They've done more to undo the Ugly American image so many teams have embodied. Not once have they: stiffed or screamed at a cabbie, made racist comments about the locals or bitched about how unfair a task was. They have, however, laughed at themselves, danced with locals, treated everyone with respect and stopped to entertain little kids whenever possible. I fell in love with them a little bit when I saw how much they made those kids laugh at the beginning of the leg.

Tsylyst   

... how much they made those kids laugh at the beginning of the leg.

By giving them ... Globetrotters swag. Did you know they're Globetrotters? Just in case anyone forgot ... they are.

Doesn't mean they're bad people by any stretch; in fact, as racers go, they're pretty nice folks and do seem to have fun instead of bickering, which is good to see. But any team that puts their entire identity into one thing (cancer, deafness, etc.) and brings it up at every opportunity quickly gets VERY annoying.

Funny side note: Fisty teases them on Twitter for constantly mentioning their Globetrotters status ... and the verified Globetrotters account keeps favoriting the posts. Sarcasm fail.

ff174   

The thing is that they seemed to have toned down the whole "We are Globetrotters" schtick, this time around. Plus, as I mentioned in the other thread, I think the schtick is more pushed by the producers. Those producers probably ask Flight Time and Big Easy to weave in their Globetrotter persona in their answers; just like they push Dave to mention his achilles tendon injury during his first race.

I like the way they seem to be having fun and go out of their way to mix with the locals.

Tsylyst   

Toned down? From a 10 to a 9, maybe.

Do you think the producers provide them will all the Globetrotters gear they wear in every episode and carry around a bag of 'Trotters swag for them to hand out to kids at pit stops?

I agree that it's part of their "hook" a la the producers, but in the end, it's the Globetrotters (and Dave/Connor, Margie/Luke, etc.) that agree and keep it going by using their team nicknames, for example, instead of their given names.

ff174   

I wonder if there is some kind of fee associated with mentioning the Globetrotter name. Plus, there may be some other fee associated with wearing the Globetrotter gear. I can guarantee that there would have to be clearances from the Globetrotters before they wear the gear on screen or play "Sweet Georgia Brown": It is free advertising.

In any case, almost all of the teams have a hook ... some admittedly more prevalent than others. I admit that hearing incessantly about the Globetrotters or Dave's injury can be annoying as hell. I prefer to aim my disdain at assholes (Rachel/Brendon), annoying (YouTube Twits or the Shrieking Harpies) or teams that I want to slap the shit out of (Assanimals).

Otherwise, I would have no one to root for.