Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

The Amazing Race 24 - General Show Analysis

Yep, Friday is historically a death slot. But, I watch Hawaii Five-O and Blue Bloods, so I don't mind. I usually DVR the other two, I'll just set it to DVR all 3. I don't know what it says about the future of the show though.

Tsylyst   

The right shows can succeed on Friday nights, such as "Blue Bloods" and "Hawaii Five-0." Also see: "Grimm," "Shark Tank," "Undercover Boss." Some shows even build audiences on Fridays and get pulled back out to anchor other parts of the week, such as "Supernatural" and "Smallville" on CBS-owned CW.

"Amazing Race" has a huge, dedicated audience that will follow it. Fridays aren't the biggest-rated nights of the week, but they aren't the end of the road either.

All that said, I expect "CSI" to flop on Sunday nights in the fall, and the network will swap it to Fridays and put "Amazing Race" back on Sundays for winter/spring.

tlh9   

I hope Amazing Race goes back to Sunday. I just really can't stand the idea of it on Friday. At. All.

I was afraid of the "moving TAR to Friday so it can die a peaceful death" thing too... but I grant Tsy's point about Grimm, Shark Tank, (the two I always watch) and the other shows that are successful on Fridays. Also that TAR has a very dedicated audience.

I used to skip (or delay) going out with friends on Friday nights to stay home and watch "The X-Files"... but that was a long time ago and a lot of things were/are different. Yeah, we had a VCR; but Mom wouldn't record it for me ~ *she* wanted to watch it live, and didn't want to watch it a second time for me. (We only had one TV.) Don't know why she wouldn't prefer watching it on tape to zip through the ads, though. Heh.

ANYWAY... I just really really want my TAR on Sundays.

ff174   

I'm not worried. There is a reason that CBS is at the top of the ratings heap. They know that TAR has a very loyal following that will follow it anywhere.

Plus, while is it true that Fridays can be a death knell for many programs, it is not the case for already popular programs. The type of program that dies a slow death on a Friday is one where the studio committed to a full season of a particular show and the show didn't perform well in the ratings. That type of show gets sent to Fridays late in the season to burn off the remainder of the shows.

Shannon   

I don't mind it moving to Fri. I don't go anywhere most Friday or Saturday nights and there's nothing on that I like, it's like dead TV night because they assume everyone is going out. I don't want the show to die, but lots of things are on Sunday, give me a good Friday night show. I do watch Shark Tank sometimes but only because I don't often like anything else on. Even shows like 20/20 or Dateline have been showing a lot of 'enhanced' reruns.

I am one of those fans who will follow it anywhere. I'm also a DVR junkie (the VCR was the gateway drug), so I don't care if it's on at 4 a.m. Thursday; I'll just record and watch it when I can. I have to avoid Hamstertime until I do, though, so I get to it as soon as possible.

tlh9   

Oh, I'll DVR it on Fridays to watch later. I would never *not* watch it, if it's on! It's just that we have a family thing every Friday night and never actually watch TV ~ just DVR it all. I am *so* used to Sundays being my 'Amazing Race' night! I go over and watch it with my Aunt and it's a 'thing'. Heh.

MrsGryn   

The other thing about TAR moving to Fridays is that it has always been a good family show that people can watch with their kids/parents. The Friday move is not a bad one for that reason.

I'm just happy there won't be any more sports related delays!

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm glad we won't have to deal with the sports related delays, but I hate it when my favorite shows switch nights. It throws off my routines for each of the nights. And confuses my poor old brain.

Tsylyst   

I really don't love that the final task was just "strap yourself to someone else and let them do the work of jumping out of the plane" instead of a mental puzzle that requires the teams to show some sort of skill. Especially on a so-called "all-star" season.

demgirl   

I'm gonna go ahead and call this the worst finale ever in Race history - or at least in recent memory. No mental task. No way for the other teams to catch up once they were on the helicopters. Most of the challenges were "controlled" in that it would have been almost impossible to do them faster than another team. Almost the entire thing was decided by taxi drivers - I mean, the difference between the blondes and father/son was literally Connor and Dave's taxi driver speeding ahead and getting them to the helicopter store a minute before the blondes. Also, Dave and Connor are insufferable; but, I can deal with insufferable winners when at least the finale is done well. Boo, TAR. Not the way to get people to follow you to Fridays.