Tsylyst

General House Analysis and Discussion

LEA   

I am not an attorney so I have no clue . . .just reporting what I have read back to you guys.

Edited by LEA

I would think that if anyone was going to try to sue it would be someone like Aaryn, who might complain that she lost her job because of her edit on the televised show (although I don't think she'd get far because as far as I know, players sign their lives away in their contracts).

Suing the players wouldn't make any sense. You'd have to claim that Gina Marie, Spencer or Andy said something that was 1. untrue and 2, caused you damages. And of course that's not going to happen. That's what the releases and the skippys and the fish are there to take care of.

demgirl   

Just chiming in to say that the whole lawsuit thing doesn't make any sense to me either, on a lot of levels. You can't just pick the winner to go after because they won and the season was full of assholes. You'd have to identify a specific thing said by a specific hammie about another person that was untrue and caused that person damages, as MockTurtle said above. Like, if Susie Q Hammie from Big Brother 200 said something like, "My friend John Q. Public Guy smokes banana peels," and somehow that didn't get fished and went out to the feeds, and people online started talking about John Q Public Guy smoking banana peels and then John Q Public Guy got fired from his job for being a banana peel smoker, and it turned out that John Q. Public Guy has never, in fact, smoked banana peels, then okay... maybe there's a defamation suit against Susie Q Hammie and, if she wins, sure you can try to collect against the prize money. But you can't wait and say, well, if Susie Q Hammie wins then I'll sue her, but if Arm n' Hammer Q Hammie wins, I'll sue him!

I feel like this is another one of those weird random rumors, like "Amanda's the pre-ordained winner!" and "Amanda is leaving the show tonight. SHe already signed off on the papers and saw her lawyer!"

ff174   

Throwing an additional layer upon demgirl's excellent post (and there are many others when it comes to defamation), I believe that Susie Q. Hammie would have to reasonably know that what she was saying was false. If Susie Q Hammie truly believed that John Q Public Guy smoked banana peels, then that may mitigate any potential damages.

Simply put, libel and slander are very difficult to prove. It goes back to our basic freedom of speech, and courts are loathe to take action that might be construed as interfering with the 1st Amendment. Also, it is very hard to put an actual dollar figure on what damages may have occurred. Using the above example, if John Q Public Guy found another job immediately, there really is no damage to his ability to earn a living, so exactly how did his reputation suffer?

Also, as this is a civil action, the attorney would take the case on a contingency basis, which means they don't get paid unless they actually win any settlement. No attorney is going to take any case on a contingency basis unless they think that they have a chance of getting paid.

Yeah and where do I line up to receive my Big Cash Payout because Amanda didn't win, I mean didn't walk on that Thursday when she was supposed to walk? I mean for the Pain and Suffering I endured because Elissa didn't win when she was supposed to (and I bet money on it)?

There's some way I can make some money out of this season. No? Oh, you're no fun.

chrysana   

Unfortunately...or fortunately...the comments about the racists in the BB house has died down, since before Aaryn left. She was the only one who really had the racist edit. If a person hasn't watched the feeds or read the recaps, and rely solely on the show, I can see how GM would be the favourable winner...compared to Andy and Spencer.

T7TN   

Is it possible that a law firm skilled in litigation involving libel would reach out to Candice, Helen, Elissa, Amanda, and whoever else might have a claim, and propose that they take action as a group against GM - should she win - because the multiple comments she made about them were 'damaging' so they are asking for a reward (a % of the prize money?) to compensate for their 'loss(es)'? I mean, this has become a "the coffee was too hot" society and if nothing else GM would have to spend some money defending herself.

ff174   

Specifically what losses would Candice, et al have suffered?

Plus, while the laws governing class action suits are kind of non-specific, five people is not enough to qualify as a class.

Okay, I smell a rat and for once it's not Andy. Every interviewee thus far has said, in hindsight, they would have worked with Elissa. What the hell?!

demgirl   

Jeff, you're useless. Utterly useless. Utterly, utterly useless. So many interesting questions that could be asked. So many boring questions about Bold and Beautiful and Las Vegas.

Edit: But not to worry. There's an ET reporter there who says on Twitter he's telling the jurors about the firings. So there's that to look forward to. He says their faces are something to behold.

Edited by demgirl

ff174   

Jeff works for CBS. I am sure that it was their idea to sanitize the interviews.

Here are some more interviews from ET Online

ETA: They really need to check their information. Spencer has not lost his job.

Edited by Magpie

uaintjak   

Spencer's was the only interview that I liked. The rest of them came across as the same old douchebags I've seen all season.

Yeah, I don't think it's really Jeff's fault as much as it's CBS playing their own Big Brother game and try to keep things "calm" or something stupid like that.