Sign in to follow this  
Kyara

Survivor - Past Seasons

ff174   

I kind of wish that he had been on last or this season ... and won.

Talk about awkward.

Maybe CBS could start a Celebrity Pervert version of Survivor, the just let them rot and die edition. Skupin, Subway pervert, Josh Duggar, the guy from Glee, Bill Cosby.

MrsGryn   

If you feel the need to still talk about Ken's abs, go right ahead, along with anything else related to Survivor 33.

tlh9   

Oh my god.  What an awful disease, and like noted in the story that does seem to be moving really fast.  Wow.  So young-looking too.  

It seems like you hear about this disease more often lately for some reason, it's gotta be one of the worst.  My heart breaks for them.

ALSis a horrible disease.  My cousin’s husband had it. He started out as a 6 ft + athlete and slowly, slowly, slowly lost all muscle control.  As the disease progressed, he and my cousin worked out a series of eye movements so they could continue to communicate.  In an interview about a year before his passing, he told a reporter that the worst part of the disease was that people saw the state of his exterior and assumed he was a mental vegetable.  But the brain is the last thing to go.

Its such a blessing that people aren’t making the same assumption about Penner’s wife.  

What a heartbreakingly beautiful thing he's doing for his wife. 

I'm the office manager for a mobility device company. We install stair lifts, platform lifts, ceiling lifts, those sorts of things. We have contracts with a couple of VA hospitals in the state, including Cleveland which is one of the largest in the country, and there does seem to be a large increase of ALS vets in the last year or so. There's a certain contact at one of the VAs we work with who regularly is in charge of ALS vets. I always know when I see her name on the fax, it's an ALS patient and there's really only 2 potential pieces of equipment she's asking us to evaluate for, and she always asks for a rush evaluation due to ALS. We work as fast as we can, but sometimes the ALS is progressing so quickly, we don't even have time to install the product. I always call and confirm before I order anything, and sadly, the families who tell me no, not to go ahead with the order tend to be the ALS vets since the condition has changed so drastically in just a matter of weeks, they are either no longer in the home or in hospice care. 

I also have a friend who's youngest daughter has SMA, which is kind of like baby ALS. She's beating the odds and just turned 5, she was basically given 18 months when she was diagnosed at just a few months old. She's part of a drug trial/treatment program and has miraculously responded. She's still on a vent and a feeding tube, but she's able to move her limbs and every video her mom posts on FB shows more and more movement. It breaks my heart that when her mom posts pics of her on the FB page, she's still counting in months old since she knows pretty much every day is unexpected. I've also read kids with SMA, much like ALS patients, have 100% normal brain function, just bodies that can't cooperate. 

tlh9   

Aw.  I always really liked Rudy.  Damn

He *was* the "Original Survivor Badass".