Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

Jeff Kent

ff174   

I posted some spoilers about this guy. Now that he has been officially named as a contestant, I can tell you that this guy had a reputation of being an absolute asshole, in the clubhouse. One hell of a professional baseball player (holds the all-time record for most Home Runs by a second baseman), but a real dick.

I've been an avid San Francisco Giants fan since I was 2 and I would just like to add to ff's sentiment that Jeff Kent is just "sort of" an asshole. Maybe 3/4's.

Although, in his defense, he was a Giant at the same time as Barry Bonds and Barry was chasing Aaron's home run record, so Jeff's big ego took a real hit (in my opinion). Barry got most of the attention, good or bad and Jeff couldn't handle it and he and Barry had some heated moments. However, Jeff did receive the 1998 Willie Mac Award for his "spirit and leadership" voted by the players and coaches, so he can't be all bad.

When Kent left the Giants and came back to play on an opposing team, he was boo'ed. And I have to say that it was great fun being in the stands and booing him. He wasn't that popular of a Giant due to his ongoing fued with Barry, whom SF Giants fans LOVE like no other.

In 2002 he lied about how he got a broken wrist. He was actually doing wheelies on a motorcycle, in violation of his contract and just plain fucking stupid, and he said he did it washing his truck.

So with those credentials, I'm thinking that this jealous, dumbass, lying, conceited, meathead, "spirited leader", half-asshole is probably going to be fun Survivor material.

PhilG   

I'm a Met fan...he was a dick here long before he was a dick in the Bay Area. Had nothing to do with Bonds.

MrsGryn   

I think Jeff Kent is a major asshole because he dissed my beloved Vin Scully by saying Vinny "talks too much." On the other hand, it will be interesting to see how he is in real life (such as it is on Survivor). I'm betting still an asshole but pretty good at the game of Survivor.

RCToros   

Oh, damn. How can you diss Vin Scully?

Interested to see if people recognize him. I watch the Braves every day but when I see my faves out of uniform, they look strange and kind of unrecognizable.

What am I saying? He's probably going to go around telling everybody "I'm Jeff Kent".

knewb   

Yep, he's an asshole. He played two seasons with the Astros and they said he barely spoke three words to any of them during that time. When the Dodgers honored retiring Astro Craig Biggio before his last game at Dodger Stadium, they had Kent present him with some type of plaque. Biggio later said that exchange was the longest conversation he ever had with the guy. But JK is a hell of a competitor, no matter how douchey he is. I think he's going to be hard to beat in physical comps, but will have no social game at all.

ahab1013   

Don't bet too heavily on Kent's physical ability. I'm sure he keeps himself in great shape, but years in pro ball take a huge toll on you physically. 162 games a year in about 190 days is a pretty rough gig especially for a middle infielder. Not that he won't do very well, but that I think the pro-athlete can sometimes be overhyped.

Sign in to follow this