Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

The Amazing Race: Season 21

ff174   

You are right toolie. As I recall, all of the "to be continued" episodes had the racers continuing the leg. I don't recall an elimination or non-elimination leg ever being a to be continued.

It will be interesting to see how they resolve this whole mess. Abbie/Ryan and the Beekman Boys are about 6 hours behind. If Abbie and Ryan have to wait until the Beekmans finish up or drown, it could get worse.

I suspect that the longhairs will find their passports and finish up 4th.

What if it is a non-elimination? Unless the show pulls off an uber-bunch, what drama will there be watching the last two teams flail around Russia? (This assumes that the show follows its recent tendency to run two legs per country.)

Lastly, what the hell do they do with Phil? If Abbie/Ryan and the Beekmans finish up 8 hours behind, and they are running the next leg in Russia, how will he get to the Amazing Mat before the racers start arriving?

PhilG   

I can recall in particular a "to be continued" when several teams had checked in, but one team had missed the last flight and wasn't arriving till next morning. I want to say it was Uchenna and Joyce, but don't quote me.

michal   

I think it will be a double elimination what with TWO teams hanging out just waiting to lose together! I've never heard of a friendship forming so quickly that you'd blow a chance at $1 million for it. They seem to have forgotten the upcoming equalizer where they all wait for the departure time/business to open/lame activity so they can all bunch up again.

chrysana   

I think they got caught up in their misery of missing their flight. The missed flight had them about 12 hours behind, and I think that they forgot about all the equalizers along the way that would allow a catch-up. I can see sticking together UNTIL the first task, but after that it's time to get back to racing. I'll be interested to see how long they hang out at the pool.

I'd never agree to this together-to-the-mat deal, but I MIGHT wait and watch one of the guys routines, then it would be "See ya!"

Magpie   

It would be bad enough to gamble a chance at a million on such a stupid agreement, but aren't Abbie and Ryan eligible for TWO million if they win? Dumbasses!

tooletta   

I can't shake the feeling that the "pact" is the work of production. I just don't believe Abbie and Ryan would willingly sabotage their chance at 2 million to stay with an inferior team. Maybe production promised them a non-elim leg if they stayed together. Perhaps they wanted to just keep one camera crew in Istanbul.

chrysana   

I'd be wanting the promise of a non-elimination round AND everyone on the same flight at the start of the next leg. Plus, I wouldn't want the extra task.

They are already half a day behind the pack, and when we left them they still weren't done the task. They could be a full day behind by the time they hit the mat.

ff174   

A little nit-picky, but they are are 6 to 8 hours the original pack. The Chippendales, et al, had to wait about six hours because the park did not open until 9:30AM. The Beekman Boys and Abbie/Ryan landed around 3:10PM. If it takes an hour to get to the park, that puts them at the gates at around 4.

Still, a very sizable margin to make up that could, as you say, end up being a day waiting for the Goat Farmers whilst they flail about in the water.

chrysana   

I wasn't really sure of the hour differences between the stragglers and those who have crossed the mat. My thoughts are more that if the producers were orchestrating the pact, I'd want a lot of assurances it wasn't going to cost me in the long run. The larger the time difference is between the front racers and the stragglers the more the chance is that at the start of the next leg the teams could end up on different flights.

The Goatfarmers aren't going to get the syncro task unless it's given to them. One of them can barely do a doggie paddle. No way is he going to do that routine, including the somersaults. The judge was faulting other teams for the timing of the somersaults, dude can't even do one. My guess is they have to screw it up a pre-determined number of times, before the judge will take pity on them. Otherwise, they should take the penalty...or a nap until the library opens again in the morning.

Edited by chrysana

AVorlon   

I was sorry to see the long-haired rocker dudes go. They caught some bad breaks there, and I hope they find a way to enjoy their extended stay in Russia, while they wait for a replacement passprort.

Speaking of Russia, I found it odd that everyone was getting a black, brand-new unmarked taxi.

Yeah, I kept thinking they were going to end up the inspiration for a made for TV movie. A few times I was sure teams were getting into random minivans they just thought were taxis.

The rockers not finding their passports was a real bummer, they could have won the whole thing and would have been one of the few teams that I didn't hate when they won.

Good for James and Jaymes! They have such a great attitudes towards the race, the challenges, the people they meet, and each other.

PhilG   

I'm confused about how they handled that whole passport business. They show up at the mat, Phil says they can't check in. Then he lets them check in after all, after all the other teams have checked in. Then they can't leave for the next leg apparently till all the other teams have left, and in one case sat out a 4-hour penalty. How did they arrive at all these seemingly arbitrary decisions? Especially since they could have raced this leg unencumbered, since they never left the country. Why not let them check in when they first got there? Why did they have to sit out the Beeks' 4 hour penalty? And why couldn't they use all that waiting time to try and get the passport, rather than wait till they started the leg?

So many questions, so little time....

Edited by PhilG

PhilG, when they showed the rockers trying to get a new passport/reporting the old one stolen, it suddenly looked like it was very early morning. I got the impression that they actually were using the early morning hours to do non-challenge-related work and then started to race in order of their last-place check-in. Of course as far as actual racing goes, they were only shown approaching the academy and then suddenly back in a van en route to somewhere, and then arriving at the mat at sundown. Did they actually complete any of the tasks or was this one of those times when the obvious losers were just rounded up to report to Phil?

But I'm also completely baffled as to why Phil said they couldn't hit the mat without their passports, and then later they were allowed to and told that they were going to have to produce them "at some point". Whaaaa?

I agree that they should have just been allowed to race as usual and do their best to hunt down the passport during non-race times. I mean, at the end of the show they still had not left Russia, so how was the passport even an issue yet?

Also, why the heck did the twins use their Express Pass when three teams were so far behind them? Was this the last day they were allowed to use it?

Tsylyst   

This was the last leg they were allowed to use the Express Pass, yes.

As for the rockers, I think the only reason the rockers were allowed to check in at the end of the first leg is because it was a pre-determined non-elimination leg. They couldn't be eliminated for not having the passport, but they also couldn't check in earlier than other teams because they didn't have the passport.

Production needed them to stick around, just to make the numbers work. I don't think TAR is like BB where they can just change the numbers/legs on the fly; everything has to be pre-determined, the Speed Bump is already set up, etc. Since they were all staying in Russia, they could keep going for at least that next leg.

Phil really did sound like he had just been handed that ruling and didn't really understand it himself. It sounded like production got caught with its pants down and needed to figure out how to justify having happen what they needed to have happen logistically.

Sign in to follow this