Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

The Amazing Race: Season 21

bhnole   

The really need to have a season bringing back quality teams that were simply fucked by cab driver's who can't find their own ass.

Really crappy ending for a team who could gone a lot further and would have been fun to watch.

ff174   

It's a shame that they don't allow the racers to drive themselves a little more often. Early in the series, it seems that the racers did more driving. I guess that they have to use more taxi's for insurance reasons.

It's a shame, because I liked Amy and Daniel. They were good racers who deserved a better fate.

PhilG   

If they are gonna rely so heavily on cabs, couldn;t they at least pre-hire drivers who know in advance where they're going and how to get there? Obviously not on legs where the contestants have to figure out where they're going, but when the clue clearly states "Go To X..."

Edited by PhilG

Tsylyst   

That's a little like saying "couldn't TAR hire private jets so there are no airline delays when taking multiple flights".

Part of the race is making smart decisions such as making sure you know where you are going before you get in the cab and just trusting the driver to know for you. Teams can buy maps, they can buy travel guides, they can ask reliable sources such as a visitor's bureau or hotel clerk for turn-by-turn directions, they can go to an internet cafe and print off a Google Map -- they don't have to rely on a shady cabbie that doesn't speak their language.

If those people had taken the time to ask for directions and given them to their driver, it surely wouldn't have taken as long as driving around the city blind for half the day. Maybe buying a map costs a few of their precious dollars, but it's risk versus reward -- all about making smart decisions in a high-pressure situation.

gforce   

Yes, what I've always loved about TAR is that it's about travel, and all the problems that can randomly crop up. Speaking as someone whose suitcase right now is somewhere in North America that is NOT here, it's things like that make travel challenging, and ultimately more interesting. If we knew everything was going to go smoothly all the time, it would be boring.

chrysana   

I liked when the contestants would get to drive themselves places. I always laughed when a racer wrecked the car. I also enjoyed watching the racers grind the gears on a manual transmission. Good times. Maybe the insurance is the reason the racers don't get to drive anymore.

I appreciate that travel problems can be frustrating for the viewers and the racers, I think it's part of the show. That being said, I think it's part of the show; as has been stated, the racers could do some legwork themselves to ensure a less bumpy ride. There have been times I've begged for a stupid cabbie to get certain pairs off my screen.

demgirl   

Aw, thanks Mrs. G. I barely remember writing it. I think I spent almost the entire time leaning over to my mother and drunkenly yelling, while believing I was whispering, "Is that the blonde girl who said the stupid thing or the blonde girl whose name I can't remember?" Unfortunately, both these descriptors fit both Lexie (?) and Abbie (?) to a T, so I just managed to confuse myself even more.

Anyway, while I was sad to lose the team whose names I can no longer recall, because they seemed cool, one of the things I've always liked about TAR is that while like any reality show there is definitely some manufactured drama and controls in place, the producers tend to let the drama create itself organically by not controlling for things like bad taxi drivers or late flights. Part of this game is strategy, part of it is athleticism, part of it is ability to deal with stressful travel situations, but there's almost always at least a little luck thrown in there.

AVorlon   

They discussed this a little during tonight’s episode, but there does seem to be a huge gap between the front-runners and the back of the pack. The front runners seem to be athletic, logical, and calm, while the people in the back seem to be frenzied, unorganized, and lacking any sense of fccus.

I was happy to see the two blondes go tonight, since shrill yelling only unnerves people, and it doesn’t get you there any faster. The girls from Sri Lanka can go anytime as well. Their strategy to hang around until better teams show up to help them just irks me. Even with that strategy, they still managed to miss a train, and are only hanging on because there are some even worse teams still in there.

PhilG   

Passing thought: can the team that has the Express Pass use it to bypass a Fast Forward and go straight to the mat? I'm thinking in terms of a scenario where they get to the FF, realize it's something they can't (or don't want to) do, but if they go back and start over they'd be way behind so......would that be allowed?

Magpie   

Google tells me: Since the Express Pass was introduced in Season 17, a team that uses an Express Pass to skip a Fast Forward task will receive a four-hour penalty.

Sign in to follow this