Zac Sunderland

Hometown: Thousand Oaks, Calif.

Current occupation: Record setting boat captain

(Zac was the youngest person to ever sail around

the world alone)

Connection to Teammate: Father/Son Adventurers

Photo courtesy CBS.COM

Shannon   

Let's just call him Laurie and be done with it. I have hopes but I always have hopes with the father/son or daughter teams, I don't know why.

This may well be the team with the best skill set we've seen on TAR in quite a while, especially because of Zac's feat in sailing solo around the world a couple of years ago. (He visited 14 countries along the way, over 13 months, IIRC.) That's a heck of a feat no matter your age. And from one article I read dad grew up in Australia, and lived in the U.K. for a long time as well before moving to the U.S.

So both of them are used to being immersed in other cultures and in the adrenaline and stress of adventure, and those are very good things to have on TAR. They're not the only team this time with good skill sets, but you can't rule them out by any means.

Edited by theschnauzers

I'm liking the father/son team right now. Being the dad of eight children can't be easy. Zac is probably pretty independent, with his record setting boat trip and everything. Hopefully, they can work together fairly well.

tlh9   

These two might be awesomeness. I really hope so. I've always liked the father/offspring teams, and a kid like this should be smarter (in an organic kind of way) and more level-headed ~ and therefore likeable ~ than most young men his age.

ff174   

This may well best the team with the best skill set we've seen on TAR in quite a while, especially because of Zac's feat in sailing solo around the world a couple of years ago.

A bit off topic, but around 2 years ago, his sister tried to become the youngest female to sail solo around the world. I believe that she was 16 years old at the time.

She made it about half way, and had to be rescued.

Edited by ff174

tlh9   

That was the same family? Wow. They must all be pretty intense. Are they ever able to relax?

Still looking forward to seeing these two, though.

Some people naturally thrive on pressure and operating on a high energy level, and I still have the impression it's a plus for this team. Being intense can translate into being focused, and I cannot imagine anyone sailing solo around the world without being able to stay ocus for the long haul. 14 months? Makes 23 days a breeze.

Yeah, that's a long time for sure. Kudos on that one! They were both on the local news like crazy and seemed extra douchey. Then, his sister went sailing and there they were again all over the tv. A while after that, there was all this drama about him getting arrested for some drunken nonsense and on the news they went deny deny deny. Now they turn up here! Grrr.

I am usually wrong about this stuff so they could be real sweat hearts on the show. It'll be interesting to see.

spartini   

Ooooh, thanks for the dish melonfish! I was aware of the son's accomplishments and the controversy surrounding the sister/daughter's attempt, but didn't know about daddy's media storm. Call me a cynic, but it almost sounds like they're trying to get some good press, is someone looking for a sponsor for a new boating expedition?

tlh9   

Ah. I see now what you mean by "again". Thanks for filling me in!

I guess somehow all the media stuff went right over my head. I'd heard a little bit about them, here & there, but had been only marginally aware of their story.

It was Dad who had the drunken stuff arrest?

RCToros   

Anyone else think this dad was being a total douche to his kid? Zac suggests they make notes on the reassembly of the item. Dad blows him off. Sure enough, reassembly required and the kid can't remember the placement of everything. Dad suggests to the camera that his kid is a moron, because he could have done it immediately.

Zac seems pretty OK, considering what a camera-hog, braggart his dad is coming across as being.