Sign in to follow this  
MrsGryn

Survivor 22 - Redemption Island

tooletta   

FINALLY had time to read jerrye25's recap, and it didn't disappoint. Much.

The best part: 25% pop culture references

The worst part: 0% tooletta references

I'm guessing it may be the other way around for many HTers, though.

Still, plenty of laughs to be had and a great way to kick off this season. Great job, jer!

jerrye25   

Thanks, the funny thing about your post is if you replace tooletta with feedmecoffee, I actually hear that same thing on the phone later that night.

I've now watched two episodes of Survivor and last season really didn't make me want to watch again, I really enjoyed this one. I'm not sure what they may have done different, but that Tribal Council was really entertaining. That Phillip doing his interrogation, then spilling the beans to everyone was just great.

I don't know much about Russell and Rob but Russell strikes me as the type who thinks he's sneaky, does pretty well but self destructs at some point. I bet he has as temper also. I don't have much of a feeling for him right now.

But I do like Rob. He seems so quiet, like he's just sitting back watching everyone, soaking it in and waiting to come up with any kind of strategy. I think if it was a regular cast, he'd have a shot but since everyone knows him, at some point, they will come together and take him out.

ff174   

Your read on Russell is pretty damned close. His strength is manipulating people by forming an alliance with everyone. He does have the ability to sway a vote to his liking. His downfall is that he doesn't understand that Survivor is part social game. He believes that no matter how badly he betrays and backstabs his fellow castaways, they should still vote for him to win because he outlasted you to the end.

In his first season, he reached the final 3. In the final 3, they hold a final tribal council with questions from the jury and then cast their votes. However, they don't reveal the winner until months later on a live show. In the intervening time, they held an All Star season and Russell was asked to participate. Russell, believing that he won his first season, played the exact same way.

Unfortunately for Russell, people DO hold grudges for being screwed over. I think he received a total of two votes between two tribal councils. That's why he said that he will be playing differently this time around.

And I agree with the comments on your recap. Very good stuff.

chrysana   
\

In his first season, he reached the final 3. In the final 3, they hold a final tribal council with questions from the jury and then cast their votes. However, they don't reveal the winner until months later on a live show. In the intervening time, they held an All Star season and Russell was asked to participate. Russell, believing that he won his first season, played the exact same way.

I didn't realize that the filming of Russell's second season took place while we were viewing his first season. Or maybe I knew, but didn't process it...anyway, that definately explains him making the same mistakes twice. However, I still found him to be difficult during the second season finale (live) when he would have had the opportunity to watch both his seasons and see where he may have misjudged his social game. Of course, that may have to do with him struggling to get back to reality.

I will be interested to see how things work out for him this time around AND what changes he plans on making to his game. He doesn't seem to be in that 'sabotage' mode he was in during his first seasons trying to have his tribe self-destruct, so maybe he has "seen the light" so to speak. He must have some people skills, he's successful in real life isn't he?

angelmi   

He claims to be a millionair in real life, and said the money from this game would not matter he just wanted the TITLE of the best Survivor ever and NO ONE would give it to him, not even the fans. I think he is a jerk on screen and in real life, we had stories about him in fights at Marti Gras last year didn't we and now the stories about him being the spoiler leak to both his seasons.

Boston Rob's commercials for tonight's show he is saying Goverment workers have a lot of stress, and that is SO TRUE!! We really have too much stress, the going postal is for real. Don't mess with a goverment worker. I think the FBI guy has to be a plant or a mole, who does the things he did in the first show. Can't wait to see the show tonight.

Shannon   

Wasn't Russell in some kind of oil field work? Like setting up or selling oil rigs? I can't remember but it seemed like is was something like that and that he's made a lot of money from it. I think it's easy to see by watching his seasons that he's a hot head, fixed personality, whom you would never invite to your neighborhood BBQ, but given he's made it to the end twice already shows he has something going for him that would be quite useful in a job. But true he's no people person. He's the kind of guy you hire when you want something done, but you don't want him to be your friend.

HT Mike   

Indeed, Russell is the owner of an oil business. When he played in Samoa he bragged to Mick that he made 1.7 million the previous year. I'm curious to see if he learned anything from his previous seasons. However, I suspect that he didn't.

It's obvious to me that my fellow HT'ers have little appreciation for the great wrestling villain archetypes. Russell is pure monster heel - arrogant, overbearing, cunning, capable, and a bully. Of course you hate him. Your supposed to hate him. The more you hate him the greater the psychological payoff when he gets defeated. It's not the good guys who make a match. It's the heel. Good guys are boring unless they have something evil to overcome. It's not psychologically satisfying for a hero ( aka Face ) just to walk over everyone without a suitable adversary. You end up with season 2 with Colby. Characters like Russell are essential to making a show like Survivor good. Sure the nuts, like Shambo, and comic heels, like Coach, can be fun for awhile but in the end you can't take the buffoonery of a guy like Coach very seriously and nuts just become annoying.

angelmi   

GREAT JOB Cycle Rob, your Recap was excellent, loved BEEHOPPY Birthday!! (miss the HT Birthdays) I love the mansweater vs the bellybutton and the RobFather!! Loved it all! Funnier than the show for sure!!

Fantastic recap Cycle Rob. Just fantastic. And, though I neglected to say so at the time (my bad), a great recap from Jerrye the week before.

I agree, the recaps for both the first two episodes were wonderful, though quite different. I laughed through them both.

Great job, 'cappers!

And this season has, at the very least been entertaining thus far.

michal   

I hope to watch the entire Zapatera tribe battle each other one by one at Redemption Island, saying good-bye to the game, as Ometepe coasts their way to the finale. Since when is throwing a challenge ever a good idea? No matter how much you dislike someone, as Jeff said, and I'm paraphrasing here, a disjointed 9 is better than a strong 6. Ralph keeps spouting off about how Russell isn't in charge, which should have been obvious when the numbers are 6 to 3, but obviously they also can't do math or Ralph might have been a little more concerned. I was desperately hoping for a good Ralph blindside, not because I wanted Russell to stay, but because I am finding Ralph more & more annoying. Considering that they didn't know what the tie-breaker would be, I would have thought they would be more afraid of having a 3-way tie. What if Russell, Ralph, and Stephanie had been exempt from having their torches snuffed and the remaining tribe had had to pull rocks out of a bag to see who left? Or if the 3 with votes had gotten to decide who actually left? Of if there had been a fire making challenge to decide, in which case Ralph might have caught himself on fire with all that man fur? Zapatera is playing with their emotions and not their brains. I am hoping that Julie finds Ralph's hidden immunity idol, stashed under a rock somewhere, and gets to use it in a very dramatic tribal council, because she seems to be the only one on that entire tribe who has a clue and a brain.

angelmi   

Great Job tismissella I am up here laughing and crying about that arm pit too!! Great show, I was jumping up and down yelling about Russell being voted out, can't wait to see him and Matt compet now, IF Matt sends Russell home next week I am going to be SOOO Happy.